The Value of Level III Certification
Tip written by: Infraspection Institute
Certification is one of the most frequently cited credentials for practicing infrared thermographers. In this Tip we discuss the importance of Level III certification and why thermographers need to train and certify to the highest level possible.
The advent of lower priced equipment has created greater public awareness and a dramatic increase in infrared imager sales. Sales of imagers to contractors, service companies, engineers and consultants are at an all-time high. As a result, many areas have seen an increase in competition among those who provide professional infrared inspection services.
In addition to an increase in the number of firms providing infrared inspection services, many infrared consultants are often competing with poorly trained thermographers with little or no field experience. The following practices can help customers and prospects appreciate the true value of an experienced consultant and to level the playing field in competitive situations.
- Obtain quality training for all thermographers. Training should be from a recognized, independent training firm
- Implement a meaningful written practice for your thermography program. This simple step serves as a blueprint for an infrared inspection program and helps to ensure quality
- Emphasize thermographer field experience in addition to training. Clients often place value above low price and will spend more money for your services if they believe that you are better qualified than a lower priced competitor
Lastly, train and certify all thermographers to Level III. Training to minimal levels sends a poor message to clients and limits a thermographer’s knowledge base and revenue potential. Requiring Level III for all thermographers can provide a competitive advantage and increased profits.
Infraspection Institute has been training and certifying professional infrared thermographers since 1980. Our Level III Certified Infrared Thermographer® training course teaches the industry’s best practices and is fully compliant with ASNT and industry standards. Our highly experienced instructors provide up-to-date information vital to help maximize your program’s success and profits. For more information or to register for a class, call 609-239-4788 or visit us online at www.infraspection.com.
Submit a Tip: If your tip is selected for posting by irinfo.org, you will receive a 6 month FREE Business Card listing at irinfo.org. Tips must be original work and must be approved for posting by irinfo.org.
Please complete the information below to submit a Tip of the Week to be considered for listing at irinfo.org. Please keep in mind that:
- the Tip must be ORIGINAL work
- you must certify that YOU are the author
- the Tip must not have appeared elsewhere
- the Tip should not be longer than 300 words
- Tips submitted are subject to editorial approval prior to being posted at irinfo.org
- You may email your suggested Tip in MS Word format by clicking on “Submit A Tip of the Week” below.
Tip of the Week Archive
Visit our Sponsors: